MY WORK: FINAL!!!!


No Name,
2012,
Wood, Tape, Paint, Wire, Wall Filler, Metal

This is my final installation. I choose this set up because it encourages the viewer to walk in and around the art, viewing it from all angles.

The materials are all recycled from construction sites, the 3D labs and from other students.
I choose to use only this blue colour as it doesn't distract from the work as a whole and it resembles the colour you get when metal rusts.

There is a strong layered quality in this work as I've been working with the marks already made on the materials previous to me changing them. There is a constant conversation between old mark makings and the new, Which in turn highlights my ideas about working on and with traces but not erasing them. All of the marks I have made on my materials look very crisp and sharp, creating a constant rhythm between the objects chosen. This conversation leads to reactions to textures, colour and forms that are purely a physical experience. The immediacy of this conversation makes the making process a first hand experience that is subjective to ones own personal interpretation.

I'm using the tape and wire not only as material to wrap around my work but also as another form of painting. This then produces that idea of the temporary that has had a constant play in my work.
The balancing of boards and the use of materials to wrap or hold up other elements gives the work this reconstructed ideal, if for only a moment. Nothing seems set in stone and looks moveable and easily re-arrangeable. 
This works also have a strong conversation with architecture as all of my materials are or could be used within a house or building site. I then construct a new object that uses a sculptural quality, blurring the lines between painting and sculpture.

There’s a complete contrast between the gallery space and my own practice, between The Permanent and The Temporary.


The spectator’s role in interacting with my art piece is a very important part in this work. When I talk about experience I’m talking about the interaction and reaction between the viewer and what is being viewed. Without the spectators participation and interaction this art piece wouldn’t be able to provoke any type of experience or pass on any knowledge to the audience.



No comments:

Post a Comment